It is seen that some people who quit smoking gain weight. Though not all people gain weight when they stop smoking, the weight gain is commonly seen in those people who have smoked for 10 to 20 years or smokes a pack or more daily. The average weight gain is around 10 pounds. Physical exercise, managing cravings, healthy eating, and positive attitude are some of the major components which could help you to prevent weight gain when you quit smoking. Let us see in detail how these components help one to stop smoking without gaining weight.
To prevent weight gain after stopping smoking one need to become more physically active. Physical exercise not only helps you to control weight but also improve your health, gives more energy, takes your mind off from smoking cigarette, and helps to relieve the moodiness and stress – the main withdrawal symptoms of quit smoking.
Try to perform physical exercise daily for at least 30 minutes. Physical exercise need not mean hard exercises like weight lifting; you can do simple exercise like waking for some time, playing with children, or mowing the lawn.
• Once you quit smoking, you need to be very careful in decreasing your cravings for nicotine. Keep in mind that your craving will last only for five minutes and if you prevent this craving for 5 minutes then you are the winner.
• Try to replace your smoking habit with any other activity which occupies both your hands and mouth. Snack on chewing gum or fruit to satisfy any sweet cravings. You can keep your hands bust with crossword puzzles, knitting, or doodling.
• Try to consume less caffeine; even though you may think that caffeine make you feel better, it can worsen the jittery nervous feeling which may accompany the withdrawal symptoms of cigarette.
• Try to get enough sleep. People who have smoking habit tend to use more cigarettes when they feel they are tired.
• Never let yourself more tired, angry, hungry, or lonely.
• Try to reduce your tension. Meditation, taking deep breaths, talking a bath or some walking can reduce tensions. You can also find engaged in something else which will replace smoking as a way to reduce your tension.
• Using stop smoking aids such as nicotine patches, nicotine nasal sprays, and nicotine gums are considered as an efficient method to quit smoking without gaining weight.
Eating a wide variety of foods, such as fruits and vegetables, everyday not only helps in preventing the weight gain but also helps you to feel better when you stop smoking. It is a good idea to improve your eating habits gradually, but try not to change it too quickly as it can result in increasing your stress.
Positive attitude plays an important role in quit smoking. Try to stay positive and your aim must be to quit smoking. Don’t panic thinking about modest weight gain. Even if you do gain weight, your healthy habits such as good exercise and healthy eating will help you to lose weight and gets your body back to normal. So be confident and go ahead!